- HUB GENERATORS: Customers are advised to fit an XGEN5 . The only exception is with Schmidt headlights, as these already contain a robust regulator. Feedback indicates that most factory fitted regulators (including Busch & Müller) may fail with the high output of hub generators.
- TYRE DRIVEN HALOGEN DYNAMO SYSTEMS: Modern Dynamo Systems originally supplied with a push-in Halogen headlamp bulb generally do not require an additional regulator as there is usually a voltage regulator in the headlamp, typically a small rod with a wire from each end, or a circuit board. A light with an LED standlight function will also have a suitable regulator.
- TYRE DRIVEN NON-HALOGEN AND VINTAGE DYNAMO SYSTEMS: For conversion to Nicelite LED bulbs, these systems, including all headlamps with a screw cap bulb, require an external XGEN regulator (or the larger XGEN5), which is simple to fit. The exception is a light with an LED standlight function, which already has a suitable regulator.
- STURMEY ARCHER DYNOHUBS: For Nicelite bulbs it is necessary to fit an XGEN2 regulator, unless there is a modern headlight with a regulator, or a light with an LED standlight function.
Alternatively XGEN or XGEN5 can be fitted.
- EXTERNAL VOLTAGE REGULATORS: Three Dynamo Regulator Models are available, depending on generator type. Fitting is straight forward with the instructions supplied. A regulator should always be fitted if there is an existing problem of bulbs burning out. A factory-fitted regulator can fail, especially with 3W hub generators. Only one effective regulator is required to control the whole circuit to the headlight and tail light. XGEN, XGEN2 and XGEN5 Regulators are low weight, all below 10g when fitted.
If you find that your Nicelite bulbs work continuously, and therefore the system does not require an external regulator, you can return an unused regulator for a refund. Please enclose the order number and your name and address.
INITIAL NICELITE TEST RIDE: When Nicelite LED dynamo bulbs are first fitted, the bike should be taken on a safe test ride at cruising speed for about 10 minutes to check whether the LED bulb or bulbs remain at full brightness.
If temporary dimming occurs (usually within 2 minutes) it indicates that LED protection detected over-voltage, and an external voltage regulator must be added. Nicelite bulbs will return to normal operation without damage when the voltage reduces to 6V or less, and once regulation is in place they will work continuously.
ONE REGULATOR CONTROLS THE WHOLE CIRCUIT. A factory-fitted or external regulator controls the voltage of the whole circuit (head and tail lights), so only one regulator is required for each dynamo-generator system. Regulators are connected across the circuit at any point, as shown in the schematic Regulator Circuit Diagram (above).
CODE REGULATOR APPLICATION INSTALLATION XGEN TYRE DRIVEN DYNAMO INSTRUCTIONS XGEN2 STURMEY ARCHER DYNOHUB INSTRUCTIONS XGEN5 HUB GENERATOR
2.4 - 4W
INSTRUCTIONSw >>> TO BUY REGULATORS <<< Dimensions (approx.): XGEN & XGEN2 Body 30mm x 5mm dia. Cable supports 8mm each side.
XGEN5 Body 37mm x 6mm dia. Cable supports 8mm each side.Cable is flexible PVC insulated multi-core copper. Cable supports are semi-flexible
|1. GENERATOR TYPE||2. LIGHTS FITTED||3. REGULATOR MODEL||4. PROCEDURE RECOMMENDED|
6V 2.4 - 4W
|SCHMIDT HEADLIGHT||USUALLY NOT REQUIRED||
FIT XGEN5 ONLY
IF INDICATED BY NICELITE TEST RIDE,
OR PREMATURE FAILURE OF FILAMENT BULBS
TYRE DRIVEN DYNAMO
|USUALLY NOT REQUIRED||
FIT XGEN ONLY
IF INDICATED BY NICELITE TEST
RIDE, OR PREMATURE FAILURE OF FILAMENT BULBS
HEADLIGHT WITH SCREW CAP BULB FITTING
HEADLIGHT WITH SCREW CAP BULB FITTING
|USUALLY NOT REQUIRED||FIT XGEN2 ONLY IF INDICATED BY NICELITE TEST RIDE, OR PREMATURE FAILURE OF FILAMENT BULBS|
BLUE AREAS are for HALOGE HEADLIGHT systems, or wheren an LED FRONT OR REAR STANDLIGHT is fitted. These systems normally have at least one internal regulator. They require an external regulator ONLY WHEN INDICATED ON NICELITE TEST RIDE due to failure of the original internal regulator.
Systems that were
originally supplied with a krypton or vacuum bulb usually do
not have an internal regulator. Krypton and Vacuum bulbs can
be identified by rounded glass. Halogen bulbs have a distinct
small point on the end of the glass.
XGEN and XGEN5 - FOR TYRE DRIVEN DYNAMOS AND HUB GENERATORS
XGEN is for TYRE-DRIVEN DYNAMOS, and XGEN5 is for 3W HUB GENERATORS
XGEN and XGEN5 have the same installation procedure, the
only difference is XGEN5 is a larger, heavy duty 10W unit with a much
higher capacity than most factory-fitted regulators. Both regulators can be
positioned neatly under the headlight bracket.
(1) The Regulator ring terminal is bolted to the earth/ground side of the circuit.
(2) Solderless Bullet Connectors are used in the simple installation.
Shown in Figs 1 and 2
TWIN WIRE SYSTEMS: There is an alternative installation for twin wired systems. In the case of hub generators switched at the headlight, it is preferable to fit the XGEN5 to the wire or wires leading to the tail light (if fitted). Please open the Fitting Instructions for further information.
1. XGEN or XGEN5 Regulator with 2 wires, one with a fitted ring terminal.
2. Two cable ties.
3. Four Lucas brass bullets and 2 bullet connectors.
XGEN2 - FOR STURMEY ARCHER 1.8W DYNOHUBS
XGEN2 fits directly across the terminals of a Dynohub, as shown in Fig 3.
1. XGEN2 Regulator with fitted terminals on both wires.
NOTE: Dynohubs may alternatively be regulated with an XGEN, as above, using the twin wire connection mode.
TO BUY THESE REGULATORS
Copyright Reflectalite Ltd ©2012